Important Considerations In Preparing For Divorce
Divorce is a major life step. If you’re considering filing — or if you suspect that your spouse will soon file — it’s important to be prepared for everything divorce entails.
The road ahead may be hard, but you don’t have to walk it alone.
At Terri Herron Law, we’ll walk beside you from start to finish. We’ll listen to your story, address your concerns and guide you through this significant transition. We help people from all walks of life overcome the hurdles of divorce, child custody and other family law issues. Our clients come from around the Atlanta metro area.
How To Prepare For Divorce
Here are some ways to better prepare yourself for the road ahead.
- Find out what’s involved in the process. The divorce process can be long and complicated, even for seemingly uncontested cases. Our attorney can walk you through what to expect based on your situation.
- Pinpoint key issues. Divorce affects almost all aspects of life, from your finances and property to your children and their day-to-day lives. The sooner you identify these issues — especially those likely to be disputed — the better you can prepare.
- If you have kids, stay involved. This isn’t the time to check out of their lives. By taking an active parenting role, you’ll have a strong case for requesting custody.
- Find out what you don’t know. In divorce, many people make assumptions that can lead them down the wrong path. You should never assume you know everything about your spouse. Perhaps he or she has undisclosed assets, for example. We’ll make sure that nothing gets overlooked in preparing your case.
- Don’t make any big decisions without consulting a lawyer. The choices you make now can have a significant impact on your rights in both divorce and custody. If you’re considering moving, quitting your job or making other financial decisions, talk to our legal team first.
These are just a few examples of things to consider if you’re going through the divorce process in Georgia.
Need a better idea of the journey ahead? Check out our divorce roadmap, which outlines the process of petitioning and finalizing a divorce in Georgia.
Have Additional Questions About Divorce? We Have Answers.
For additional guidance on preparing for divorce in your unique situation, please call Attorney Terri Herron at 404-692-6487 to schedule a free consultation. You may also send us a brief description of your situation using our online contact form. We promptly return all emails.
We have evening and weekend appointments available at our main office in Roswell as well as four other locations in Georgia: Atlanta, Marietta, Snellville and Duluth.