Our Representation Is Focused On Your Family’s Needs
At Terri Herron Law, our goal is to find solutions that foster the parent-child relationship. We understand that accomplishing this goal requires a unique strategy for every family, which is why we take the time to listen carefully to you and your concerns. Our attorney will pursue a child custody and visitation strategy tailored to your situation.
“I was scared and unsure about the outcome, but she assured me every step of the way. I’m glad she was my attorney.” — Client testimonial
The Best Interests Of The Child Standard In Georgia
Under Georgia law, child custody and visitation are determined based on the best interests of the child standard. You know your family and you know which solutions will be easy to implement, which is why judges prefer that you and the other parent reach an agreement out of court.
When an out-of-court agreement is not possible, the judge will consider several factors in making a determination. It is important to remember that a single factor is not determinative, but only a part of the best interests determination.
- Parent-child relationship: The love, affection, bonding and emotional ties that exist between each parent and the child, as well as the willingness and ability to facilitate a relationship with the other parent.
- Parental involvement and ability to provide for the child: Which parent is the primary caregiver? What home environment could the parent provide? How involved is each parent in the child’s education and social activities? What is the parent’s employment schedule? What is the current mental and physical health of the parent?
- Recommendation of a guardian ad litem or another court-appointed evaluator
- Election: Children 14 years of age or older are allowed to elect which parent they want to live with. This is not automatic; a court must approve the selection.
- Family violence or abuse: This includes physical, sexual, mental or substance abuse.
- Other relevant factors
Call Us Today | Rest Assured That You Are In Good Hands
Schedule a complimentary consultation with our lawyer when you have a child custody or visitation matter that you need to discuss. Call us at 404-692-6487 or send us an email with a brief description of your case and needs. We have offices conveniently located throughout the Atlanta metro in Roswell, Atlanta, Marietta, Snellville and Duluth, with weekend and evening appointments available at all locations.